Re: problem with associatedVoice

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: problem with associatedVoice
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:57:40 +0200 (CEST)

> The \set associatedVoice command has to be inserted one syllable
> earlier than the one to which it applies (see Automatic syllable
> durations in section 2.1.1 in the Notation Reference to 2.13.36).
> But in this case it would need to go right at the beginning of the
> Italian lyrics, and that would not work.

???  I *have* positioned `\set associatedVoice' at the proper place in
my example (this is, one syllable earlier), and the effect shouldn't
start with the first Italian syllable but the second (i.e, `zar').

> Actually, I don't think associatedVoice is the best way to do this.
> All you need to do is to indicate a melisma in the Italian lyrics
> with an underscore and set them to the German music:
>
>   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "german" {
>     Sfor -- zar _ la fi -- glia, ed am -- maz -- zar il
>   }

This is not what you can find in bilingual vocal scores.  Actually,
it's completely wrong since you have a *single* note while a melisma
indicates more than a single note.  I've simplified the example;
attached you can find how it should look like, and how you can find it
in a vocal score of `Don Giovanni', second scene.  If associatedVoice
works as advertised, it's *exactly* the right thing to use IMHO.

> You could even avoid the need for two voices by adding a dashed slur
> (to masquerade as a tie) between the two 32nd notes.

I'm already using a workaround because associatedVoice doesn't work as
expected.

    Werner

PNG image