Re: Tuxguitar exported code

From: Mark Clark
Subject: Re: Tuxguitar exported code
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:08:16 -0500

Hi, All.  My name is Mark Clark.  I'm a musician and retired developer who has lightly used LilyPond for many years.  I follow this list but rarely rarely (if ever) post to it.  But, as a guitar player, I use TuxGuitar quite a bit.  I use it mostly because of it's LilyPond export capability.  TuxGuitar has a nice user interface and a great deal of functionality but it's native printed output leaves a great deal to be desired.  The developers realized that if they exported LilyPond code users could have great looking output and they could concentrate on those aspects of TuxGuitar that are most useful to guitarists.  I've been generally very happy with their choices.  Any improvements or additions I need in the printed score can be easily added to the LilyPond code but the main block of code is done for me.  It seems like a win-win to me.

I wouldn't use TuxGuitar for LilyPond input unless I wanted guitar tablature.  I have my own template files for lead sheets and SATB vocal music for church but the TuxGuitar route is really handy for tabs.

What questions do folks have about the LilyPond code that TuxGuitar exports?  I realize the exported code isn't what we would compose directly but it does save a lot of time.  The TuxGuitar developers don't pretend to be LilyPond experts.  They just try to get workable code generated.  I've found that they are responsive to suggestions about LilyPond code and are happy to include any changes that don't force them to rewrite their own code.

      - Mark

On Oct 21, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Alan E. Davis wrote:

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:44:12PM +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
After spending a little time trying to understand lilypond, I
>    have come to the conclusion that there is something quite particular about
>    tuxguitar's output.

If you post some of that output, somebody here might comment on
the particularit(ies).