Re: Triple b or # - do they exist?

From: Jeremiah Reilly
Subject: Re: Triple b or # - do they exist?
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:39:31 -0400

From: Nils Gey <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:34:15 +0200
Subject: Triple b or # - do they exist?
Hello list,

last night in a discussion someone claimed that there is a triple bbb in real music, he said it was in a Chopin piece but could not say which.
I think I am fairly educated in music but never heard of a triple bbb or ###. Do you know any?

Interesting theory question. The Wikipedia entry on flat says yes, but provides
no example  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_(music) ):
"Although very uncommon and only used in modern classical music, a triple flat
can sometimes be  found. It lowers a note three semitones."

I found a thread in a discussion group on this topic which argues yes
(http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-10244.html).
This topic comes up in
forums on using Finale, for example.

I think it is pretty much a theoretical point. A diminished seventh chord in the
key of Fb would have an  Ebbb. But would anyone write this? Wouldn't you just use
enharmonic notation or change the key?

If anyone should come up with a bona fide use of a triple flat, please post it.

HTH,

Jeremiah