Re: Colliding whole notes in a default 4 voices (2x2) piece. Files attac

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Colliding whole notes in a default 4 voices (2x2) piece. Files attached
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:06:52 -0600

On 10/25/10 7:36 PM, "Keith E OHara" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:04:01 -0700, Nils Gey wrote:
>
>> The notes are misaligned verticaly, lilypond does know this and informs me of
>> this while making the pdf.
>> [...]Why does this happen?
>>

> The .ly file is very long and appears to be automatically-generated code, so
> let's ignore that.
>
> The image looks like
>
>    \new Staff  <<
>      \new Voice \relative c'' {
>        c a c b c c c b
>      }
>      \new Voice \relative c'' {
>        g f g g g a g g
>      }  >>
>
> except with whole notes in place of quarter notes.  The whole notes are
> displaced in the same way as notes with stems would need to be displaced so
> that the stems do not collide.  The warning comes not for the notes that are
> displaced, but for the <f a> combination that has both stems in the same
> direction.
>
> If you are using Lilypond, use \\ to setup the two voices automatically.
> Using \new Voice explicitly, you need to specify yourself which voice is
> 'VoiceOne' (see the Lilypond manuals) to set the stem directions.  If you want
> to use denemo, though, you'll have to look at its docs are ask its developers
> how to get what you want.

If you want to have the notes *not* displaced, but vertically stacked, you
can do so by the following:

\new Staff  <<
  \new Voice \relative c'' {
    \voiceOne
    c a c b c c c b
  }
  \new Voice \relative c'' {
    \voiceOne
    g f g g g a g g
  }

However, this will give warnings for clashing note columns on most notes.

Another way to avoid the displacement (an it will avoid the warnings as
well) is to put both sequences of notes in the same voice:

\new Staff {
  \new Voice <<
    \relative c'' {
      c a c b c c c b