Re: Feature request

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:05:53 +0200

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Robert Clausecker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi guys!

Greetings,

> As we have a good support for SVG now, wouldn't it be nice to add a
> --svg switch to the program, so that you can write
>
>    lilypond --svg fancystuff.ly
>
> instead of
>
>    lilypond -dbackend=svg fancystuff.ly
>
> which seems to be less intuitive?

Wait a minute. Let me get this right: you are targeting users who
 - know how to use a command line
 - know what "SVG" is.
 - know what a command-line argument is
 - know that a multi-character argument is usually introduced by a double-dash.

I think we can safely assume that this kind of users *also* tend to
know what a program's Documentation is, and where to look for it.
What do you think?

> I know, that there's a special backend for SVG, but it should make it
> simplier for sporadic users who don't read the doc to figure out which
> parameter you have to use.

Well, I do believe that "sporadic" is the appropriate word here :-)

Yours Pondly,
V. Villenave.