Re: Update on graphical notation package

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Update on graphical notation package
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:24:13 +0200

On 25 October 2010 01:36, Mike Solomon <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hey lilyponders,
>    I forget if I sent this out or not - sorry in advance for any double
> postings!  A score I wrote using the graphics notation package that I
> developed for Lilypond will have its UK premiere on the 4th of December in
> Canterbury and its French premiere on the 5th of December in Dunkirk.  The
> score is on:
>
> http://www.apollinemike.com/norman7
>
> Some of you have already expressed interest in using this package - please
> let me know if you'd like the code and if you'd be interested in helping
> out!  Furthermore, if you live by either of those cities, let me know if you
> can make the show and I'd be happy to meet up w/ you afterwards to show you
> the score & the way I made it in Lilypond.

Hi Mike,

Congratulations!
Are you the composer of this score?
It is difficult to know since you seems not to have used the "composer"
field of the header and so there is no indication of the composer on
the score, which is very uncommon!

Usually (and AFAIK) the Staff.instrumentName and
Staff.shortInstrumentName are not displayed in the parts.

And as a violin player I have never seen your \clef "G^8" .
Violinists are masochists and prefer to read with many ledger lines!
Or alternatively you could use an ottava bracket  \ottava #1 , which is
more common.

There are also some odd things with your "CHIRP", see for example
violin1, "K" (measure 41 and 42), the bar line is at the wrong place,
isn't it?
I must admit I am not that much confident with contemporary music...

> P.S. Sorry for any spelling mistakes in the score...I've had trouble w/
> pango fonts recently, which has led to misspelled French words.

You mean the accents that are missing in French?
Yeah, that's disturbing for French-speaking people!

BTW you have everything in English but the indications in the score are
in French.  I do not think it is convenient, either for English or
French-speaking musicians.
And trombone is the only one that has its indications in English.

Maybe the musicians that will play your piece are speaking both English
and French but your trombonist is English-speaking only!  ;-D

> BTW: what's the license? (please tell me that you have a
> non-proprietary license!)

Cheers,
Xavier

--