Re: Feature request

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:57:49 -0700

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:48:22 +0100
> From: Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Feature request
> To: Tim McNamara <address@hidden>
> Cc: Robert Clausecker <address@hidden>, lilypond-user
>    <address@hidden>
>
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:06:27AM -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 27, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Valentin Villenave wrote:

> > >I think we can safely assume that this kind of users *also* tend to
> > >know what a program's Documentation is, and where to look for it.
> > >What do you think?
> >
> > Hmm.  This is prompting a rather harsh reaction from me which will
> > predictably draw all kinds of flames.  I am always bemused by the
> > recurrent user-dismissive attitude that pervades Unix-based FOSS
> > projects:
>
> Ironically, I'm the resident champinion of the "shut up and read
> the docs, you stupid user" camp for lilypond, but I thought the
> email was completely valid.
>
> - it was sent to bug-lilypond, which is where it should be.
> - it was a well-written, well-reasoned feature request.
> - it would unquestionably bring lilypond usage into a more
>   consistent manner ( -f=xyz or --xyz )
>

> Now, I recall this being discussed a few years ago, and there was
> some reason why it was difficult to implement -f=svg.  So there's
> virtually no chance of it getting included before 2.14... but the
> feature request itself was, as far as I can tell, completely fine.
> The only reason why it shouldn't be in the tracker is if there's
> *already* a request for this precise thing.
> (I know it was discussed a few years ago, but I'm not certain if
> it got a tracker issue)
>
> > We've got a bunch of arcane stuff in Lilypond, which is why we have
> > four PDF files of documentation with a total of 1205 pages (for
> > 12.2.3),
>
> Much more than four, BTW.  I think we have 10.
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Wow, Graham has gone all soft and cuddly!
It must be the end of the world approaching. ;-)

BTW, I know what SVG is (I love Inkscape!) and know what a CLI is, though
I don't use one often, but it's just plain easier to remember, not to
mention to type, "lilypond --svg fancystuff.ly" than the current command.

Tim Reeves