Re: NoteNames and alternative note names

From: tomas
Subject: Re: NoteNames and alternative note names
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:24:52 +0200

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:57:56PM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> I like both. We sometimes use LilyPonders, as well :-)

:-)

[...]

> Very interesting. LilyPond doesn't support Balinese music yet, but
> we'd happily add that if you can explain it to us a bit more. (Or,
> better, provide us with some references, links, documents etc.) Can
> you help us?

I'll try to gather some things. My experience is more on the practical
side, having had the luck to play in a local orchestra (in south-west
Germany, for all things!) for quite some time.

Just for the record: I know there's someone lurking here who knows more
about Balinese music, a huge lot more about music in general and
a sizeable bit more about Scheme than me. So may be we have more help?

> > The scores are sometimes for people who are not so proficient at reading
> > classical notation [...]

> Indeed. This bug has been known (and forgotten) for a long time; I've
> just added it to our bug-tracker:
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1367

[...]

> Since you're familiar with Scheme, you may use the following hack
> (adapting it to your needs, of course):

[...]

Wow. Thanks. I'll give that a whirl and post the modified "gamelan.ly".

May be a change in name is in order: Javanese orchestra calls itself
gaamelan as well (and has seven tones to the octave instead of the
Balinese five).

> However, please do help us supporting Balinese pitch names properly!

I'll be glad to!

> Yours Pondly,

:-))

Thanks