Re: alpha test, spacing ajusments

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: alpha test, spacing ajusments
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:00:56 -0700

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Keith E OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:01:26 -0700, Nick wrote:

Actually, the vertical layout problem I reported a few weeks ago
(http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1252) still exists
with 2.13.37.

The information in the bug tracker indicates that, when LilyPond plans how many systems to put on each page, she sometimes misunderestimates the space needed by rehearsal marks, and other such things that are logically outside the Staff context.  So we would expect sometimes the spacing algorithm will sometimes be asked to fit more on a page than is possible, especially in single-staff parts with volta repeats and marks.

If we restrict our efforts to cases where .37 simply does a bad job arranging staves that *could* fit nicely on the page, such efforts should not be wasted.

Now, a user might be pro-active and think,
"Let me just tell LilyPond that I don't need her to try to pack so many staves on each page in this particular score:
 system-system-spacing #'space = 20 % staff spaces  (or between-system-space = 25\mm in stable 2.12) "

Alas! LilyPond does not change her page-break decisions based on our requested space (with any of the page-breaking algorithms) (though she does layout pages differently in response to between-system-padding).

system-system-spacing #'space will affect the page breaking starting in 2.13.38. In the meantime, you can use #'padding instead.

Cheers,
Joe