Re: alpha test, spacing ajusments

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: alpha test, spacing ajusments
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:59:39 -0700

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:25:31 -0700, Nick Payne <address@hidden> wrote:

... However, I don't like the resulting look of the
output, as the space between the bottom stave on each page and the foot
of the page varies too much for my taste.

The simplest way to ask LilyPond to stretch big orchestral systems a little less, was to
tell her to consider the space between systems, and the space at the bottom of the page,
to be *very* stretchable.  These adjustments are in "paper_adjustments.ily"
attached.

I worried that this adjustment would make Nick's problem even worse, *but* on
my parts the extra space at the bottom remains uniform, 1 to 1.5 staff spaces,
even though the staves are quite uneven due to page-turn considerations.

We should get the bottom staves to be perfectly even across pages, if we sets
the bottom stretchability to zero:
\paper { last-bottom-spacing = #'(
  (space . 1) (padding . 1) (minimum-distance . 0) (stretchability . 0)
  )}
I set the full list of parameters above, even though I changed only one of
them, to work-around recently-reported bug 1338.

My first draft of adjustments is attached, and the toy score below shows how I
use them.  The files are mostly comment, with just a few overrides.  While
experimenting, I found it helpful to prevent the number of pages from changing,
using \paper{page-count=#5}

Jan and choral folk,  maybe a little more #'non-affinity-spacing is needed to
keep the Lyrics from being confused with the next staff?   You know that I have
no experience with vocal music, but these files make Jan's setting of the
Messiah look good to my eyes.

I will be quiet for a couple days over the weekend, but will not forget this.
==
Keith

==8<==
\version "2.13.37"
\paper {
  \include "paper_adjustments.ily"
}
\pointAndClickOff

m = { \repeat unfold 20 c''1 \repeat unfold 60 s1 \repeat unfold 20 c''1 }
o = { \repeat unfold 100 c''1 }

\score {
  <<
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff \m
      \new Staff \m
%{%}>>
    \new Staff \m \new Staff \m
    \new Staff \o \new Staff \o \new Staff \o
    \new Staff \o
    \new StaffGroup <<
      \new Staff \o \new Staff \o
%{%}>>