Re: Beam eighth notes in pairs by default

From: Christopher Meredith
Subject: Re: Beam eighth notes in pairs by default
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 09:48:24 -0500

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Jay Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Christopher Meredith
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I know this is pretty simple, but I can't get it to work for the life of me.
> I want to cause eighth notes to be beamed in pairs by default, rather than
> fours. I use mostly 4/4 and 3/4 time. I found this:
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/user/lilypond/Beams.html#Setting-automatic-beam-behavior
> But nothing directly addresses what I want to do, at least as far as I can
> tell. I tried adapting one of the examples that uses sixteenth notes, but
> was unable to achieve the desired results. Can anyone help? Thanks!

What version of lilypond are you using? If you're using 2.13 you most
likely need to do this after setting the time signature:

\set Score.beamExceptions = #'()

For older versions I believe it was something like this:

#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 4 4) 1 4)
#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 4 4) 2 4)
#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 4 4) 3 4)

I'm using version 2.12.3. Does that mean I should be using the override-auto-beam-setting function?