Re: extra spacing between staves and verses

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: extra spacing between staves and verses
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:22:05 -0700

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:04:58 -0700, Fr Gilmary wrote:

As it is, the suggestion the other day from Patrick Karl works,i.e., to use:\markup {
" " }
in between the scores to spread them out more or less ... only it seems like
a temporary type fix, no?

Father Michael,
 I would consider Patrick's suggestion to be a good permanent method.  If want more space at a few
particular places, putting a " " space there seems clear in its purpose, so you will
remember what it is for if you revise this year from now.  You can adjust the gap by lowering the
space with \markup\lower #7 " " .   (When version 2.14 comes out, we can simplify this to
\markup\vspace#6 to get exactly six staff-spaces.)

  Just to make sure that you know, the 2.13.x versions are the experimental
versions to be used for testing new features that will go into the next usable
version 2.14.  (By convention the versions odd numbers after the decimal are
trials for the even numbers.)  That means there will be bugs, but 2.13.37
appears very close to stable so it should be reasonably usable.

Actually, I'm trying to help clean up bugs in the spacing system, so I
investigated this:

I've tried your sample file and still there is no
change whatsoever with the score-system-spacing values. I don't know why ---

The score-system-spacing settings handle the case when there is no markup text
between scores. (If there is markup text, the LilyPond uses
markup-system-spacing  instead.)

Bill's helpful comment (with my minor correction)
piece="score-system-spacing affects spacing between 'scores' - but not between
[markup like title, piece, etc.] and the score"
was itself markup text, so adding it caused LilyPond to refer to
markup-system-spacing instead.

We have to appreciate the irony in that.
--
Keith