Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'

From: andersvi
Subject: Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 17:13:44 +0100

    K> On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:25:12 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> Q: How Can i separate handling of rests from stem-directions in
    >> polyphonic voice-handling?

Hello Anders,
    K>    I would also have expected Rest 'direction to do what you
    K> asked.  It does change the placement of rests in columns with
    K> only rests, but when there are both notes and rests, the rests
    K> act as if they had the Stem direction.

    K> This could be a bug, or there could be some non-obvious reason
    K> Lilypond needs to behave this way.  If it still looks like a bug
    K> after you set the Prelude, would you consider making a bug report
    K> ?

It seems the Rest 'direction overrides get reset by parsing the other
voice somehow.

However the following \restUp cludge is a workaround:

restUp = {
  \override Stem #'direction =
    #(lambda (grob)
        (if (ly:grob? (ly:grob-object (ly:grob-parent grob X) 'rest)) 1 -1 ))
}

restN = {
  \revert Stem #'direction
}

musicA = \relative c' {r8 <c' c'> r <c c'>}
musicB = \relative c' {g4 g}

\score {
  \new Staff {
    <<
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo  {\restUp \musicA } {\restN \musicA }}
      \new Voice { \voiceOne  { \musicB } { \musicB }}

  }
  \layout { }