Re: Redefining barline command

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Redefining barline command
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 18:36:37 +0100

On 6 November 2010 18:24, Nils Gey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Lilyponds,
>
> I want to redefine (advanced version: only for the current movement) that
> everytime I use \bar "|." instead, internaly, this should be used:
>
> \once \override Score.BarLine #'transparent = ##f   \bar "|."
>
> How can I do this?
>

> Background: I deactivated barlines to get a mensural output.
> This deactivates the final, closing, barline, too. |.
> The transparent == ##t override can be placed in the movements layout
> block which is fine because its valid only for one movement.

Hi!

Since you make the bar lines transparent for the whole Score context,
I assume you are not using the "Mensurstriche layout" (bar lines that
are drawn between the staves of a system but not through the staves
themselves), like in this picture:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/working-with-ancient-music_002d_002dscenarios-and-solutions#mensurstriche-layout

Then a simple solution would be to replace your
  \override Score.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
(or the equivalent in your \layout block) by
  \set Score.defaultBarType = #"empty"

Of course you can place it in the "movement layout" too

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      defaultBarType = #"empty"

Then the
  \override Score.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
is no more necessary.  :)

> But how do I get the final barline back without placing the directive
> inside of a staff?  A staff can be deleted and the instruction would
> be lost.

If the solution above is not satisfying.

You can use an invisible voice (i.e. containing only invisible rests
or \skip ) for such instructions.
Many people use a variable they call "global" for that.

global = {
  \key d \minor
  \time 4/4
  \override Score.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
  s1*2
  \revert Score.BarLine #'transparent
  \bar "|."
}

music = \relative d' {
  d1 d1
}

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \global
    \music

}

Then you can include this \global in every needed Staff .

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>