Re: Bar line at the point where all voices overflow

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: Bar line at the point where all voices overflow
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:11:43 +0100

2010/11/9 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> writes:
>> BTW as a musician, I would not know how to play such scores where some
>> players have more notes (beats) to play than other in the same
>> measure...
>
> They don't.
>
>> Are we supposed to wait the last one that has the higher overflow?
>> Are you sure it is not an error?
>
> In Renaissance music, you don't write ties for syncopes crossing the bar
> (and writing them would give a false impression of the rhythmic flow).
>
> But it rather common _not_ to write the bar lines _inside_ of the staffs
> (where they would have to cross the occasional note), but between the
> staffs.  The snippets for ancient music have an example, but I can't
> quite figure out what produces the in-between bar lines.

It's called mensurstriche layout.
Take a look at Notation Reference 2.8.5.
Basically it's acheved in LilyPond by using StaffGroup instead of
ChoirStaff, and making barlines invisible.
Vit, have you tried using it with newest development version
(2.13.38)? I think it solves your problem (if i understood you
correctly), take a look at this:

\version = "2.13.38"
global = {
  \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
  s1 s s
  % the final bar line is not interrupted
  \revert Staff.BarLine #'transparent
  \bar "|."
}
\new StaffGroup \relative c'' {
  <<
    \new Staff { << \global { c1 c2 c1 c2 } >> }
    \new Staff { << \global { c1 c2. c1 c4 } >> }

}

cheers,
Jan