Re: Re : [Lyrics] Ignoring tie

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Re : [Lyrics] Ignoring tie
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 11:35:47 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlo Stemberger" <address@hidden>
To: "Jan Warchoł" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Bill Mooney" <address@hidden>; "Lilypond-User List" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:59 AM

Thank you!

Il 11/11/2010 09:01, Jan Warchoł ha scritto:
You have two options:
[...]
- do as Bill suggested: remove tie.

The second option is better because it is more logical: a tie means
that two notes should be merged and sound as one, but that's
impossible because singing two syllabes makes two sounds.

Yes, I know: this is what I thought. The problem is that the same notes are used in 2 stanzas: in one case, the tie must be ignored; not in the other. Here[1] the original sheet.

Note that this situation is different when /phrasing slur/ is used
(unfortunately phrasing slur looks exactly like a regular slur...).

Mmmm, this may be a not perfect but simple solution. Otherwise I have to write 2 times the 2 stanzas, isn't it?

Regards,
Carlo

[1] http://artsongcentral.com/2007/adam-cantique-de-noel/

Where I have to do this, I use an underscore in the part with the fewer syllables to add an extra syllable. In the case you have I would then either set the music without the tie, or preferably I would use 2 voices and set the primary voice without the tie (so the lyrics with the underscore fit) and the second voice either with the correct (untied) note value, or with the tie - possibly dashed.

--
Phil Holmes