Staff / System problem

From: Ralph Palmer
Subject: Staff / System problem
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:03:55 -0500

Greetings -

I'm running LilyPond 2.12.3 under Ubuntu.

I'm trying to duplicate the staff / system setup shown in the attached Duet.jpg. The ossia staff begins on the second line, and has dashed bar spanners. The closest I've been able to come so far is similar to what I have in test-1.ly (a minimal example) and test-1.jpg. Basically, I have the music in A, B, and C, and then do:
\score {
    \new StaffGroup <<
       \new Staff << \A >>
       \new Staff << \B >>
       \new Staff << \C >>

}

Here's the full test-1.ly file:

%%%%%%%%%% begin snippet %%%%%%%%%%%

% test-1

\version "2.12.3"

\paper {
  ragged-last-bottom = ##t
  ragged-right = ##f
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \RemoveEmptyStaffContext

A =
\relative c'' {
  \key c \major
  \clef treble
  \time 4/4

  a b c d |
  b c d e |
  c d e f |
  d e f g |
  a g f e |
  g f e d |
  f e d c |
  e d c b |
  d c b a |
  a b c d |
  b c d e |
  \bar "|."

}

B =
\relative c'' {
  \key c \major
  \clef treble
  \time 4/4

  e f g a |
  b a g f |
  f g a b |
  a g f e |
  d e f g |
  f e d c |
  b e f g |
  f e d c |
  b c d e |
  f g a a |
  g f e d |

}

C =
\relative c'' {
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4

  s1 |
  s1 |
  s1 |
  s1 |
  s1 |
  a4 a b b |
  c c d d |
  b b a a |
  d d c c |
  b a b a |
  c d c d |
}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff << \A >>
    \new Staff << \B >>
    \new Staff \with {
      fontSize = #-3
      \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
    } << \C
%      \override Score.SpanBar #'glyph-name = #"dashed"

  \layout {
    \context {
      \RemoveEmptyStaffContext
  \midi { }
}

Using spacers for the empty measures in C and then using \RemoveEmptyStaffContext did not work, because the empty staff is in the first system.

I also tried putting a new StaffGroup into B, with two \new Staff units as parallel music, but LilyPond put all the succeeding notes in B as simultaneous.

Can anyone help me with either an appropriate score structure or a command to override the \RemoveEmptyStaffContext default so I can remove the empty staff in the first system? I'd also like the solid bar spanners in the top staff group and dashed bar spanners between the middle staff and the ossia staff.

I appreciate your time and attention,

Pondly,

Ralph

--