layout questions

From: David Bobroff
Subject: layout questions
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:36:06 +0000

I'm typesetting from an ugly hand-written part. It's a trombone part to an orchestral piece and, therefor, consists largely of multi-measure rests. I'm using the contruct:

\textLengthOn
s1*0^\markup{ whatever }
R1*X

...to stretch the multi-measure rests to fit the length of the markup. So far, so good. In some cases, however, rehearsal marks are being "pushed" up out of the way of some of these markups. I've tried sneaking the global font size down and increasing the number of systems. This seems to have fixed some/much of the problem. I would like a way to have them all at the default distance from the staff ( = one staff space?). I'm not sure where to find my answer. Should I be tweaking the length of individual multi-rests? Should I be adding side-padding to the markups? Is this a job for outside-staff-priority?

Thanks,

David