Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:34:34 +0100

On 15 November 2010 13:00,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> Heres a version of the prelude:
>

> Any comments and suggestions for improvements are of course very
> welcome.

Hi!

It seems nice (although I'm not a pianist).

> Especially concerning the shaky staff-handling introducing the "tutti"
> or "Tempo Primo" ending section.

You have an "unwanted extra space" added at the end of the line before
the break when adding the new staves.
Use
  \once \set Staff.explicitKeySignatureVisibility = #end-of-line-invisible
just after you  \new Staff {
within your  tempoPrimo = {

Cf. http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=325

Other comments/suggestions:

1. Why did you use  e4(--^\markup{\bold\huge Agitato}
instead of
  agitatoTempo = \tempo \markup \bold\huge "Agitatto" 4 = 78  ?
(the metronome indication (note = value) is not printed thanks to your
  \set Score.tempoHideNote = ##t  )

2. It is strange to use  << { } \\ \new Staff { } >> .
The  << \\ >>  is intended for voices only, AFAIK.
So I suggest removing these "\\".

Cheers,
Xavier

--