Re: Creating arbitrary lines (or other postscript things)

From: Andrew C. Smith
Subject: Re: Creating arbitrary lines (or other postscript things)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:45:57 -0500

>>> What is it about a glissando that doesn't give you what you want?
>> >

>> A glissando only creates a line to the next note. I want a line to another
>> arbitrary note, not necessarily the next one. I guess glissando is basically
>> what I want to do, but I want to >explicitly define the next note. Maybe
>> there's a workaround I'm not thinking of?
>
>> Andrew
>
> Please "Reply All" so that the newsgroup can also see the responses.
>
> Have you seen this:
>
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=662
>

> --
> Phil Holmes

Thanks--no, I hadn't seen that. I hadn't thought about using glissando before,
actually, because it seems to only take arguments within a single voice. Plus,
I can't seem to start a text span in one voice and end it in another voice.

Would it make sense to, rather than use glissando or something similar, create
a function that takes a syntax similar to the following:

\lineBegin x y
\lineEnd x y

where x is an index so that \lineBegin and \lineEnd may be matched to one
another (even across the entire score), and y is the note event (with the
NoteHead) that the line is drawn from. As a default, I could make any
\lineBegin that doesn't have a corresponding \lineEnd sets its \lineEnd to the
same as \lineBegin (so that the length is 0). At the end of the program, a
scheme function could cycle through each set of pairs and draw a dotted line
between each pair of coordinates, possibly with make-stencil rather than
usurping a glissando.

Does this seem like it's at all reasonable? Storing a list of pairs and going
back later to draw all the lines?