Re: Creating arbitrary lines (or other postscript things)

From: Andrew C. Smith
Subject: Re: Creating arbitrary lines (or other postscript things)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:11:31 -0500

>> Would it make sense to, rather than use glissando or something similar,
>> create a function that takes a syntax similar to the following:
>
>> \lineBegin x y
>> \lineEnd x y
>
>> where x is an index so that \lineBegin and \lineEnd may be matched to one
>> another (even across the entire score), and y is the note event (with the
>> NoteHead)
>> that the line is drawn from. As a default, I could make any \lineBegin that
>> doesn't have a corresponding \lineEnd sets its \lineEnd to the same as
>> \lineBegin
>> (so that the length is 0). At the end of the program, a scheme function
>> could cycle through each set of pairs and draw a dotted line between each
>> pair of
>> coordinates, possibly with make-stencil rather than usurping a glissando.
>
>> Does this seem like it's at all reasonable? Storing a list of pairs and
>> going back later to draw all the lines?
>
> I'm sure it could do - although I doubt it would be used too much and so even
> if such an enhancement were formally requested I think it unlikely it would
> be implemented any time soon.  There is likely to be someone along here soon
> who could tell you how to do this in scheme...  (Not something I can do, I'm
> afraid).

Oh, I expected that I'd write it as a scheme function, although definitely
within an .ly file. Scheme seems like a minimal enough language, and all I
really foresee using is a "for" structure--the problem (as always) is just
figuring out which Lilypond methods to call. Thanks for your help--found a
bunch of helpful snippets related to that other one.

Andrew