Re: How to optimize line?/page breaking when making parts?

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: How to optimize line?/page breaking when making parts?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:53:18 +0100

2010/11/17 胡海鹏 - Hu Haipeng <address@hidden>:

> Hello,
>   After many modification, my overture is about to come out as a final sets
> (score and parts). A friend of my teacher can manage to let it played.

Congratulations!

> But when making parts, I still have problem with the latest version.
> No matter what staff size I set, there will be many parts not fitting
> music on page.

Do you mean you still have the warning
  "warning: couldn't fit music on page"
when compiling?

I thought errors of this kind were all fixed now (2.13.39).
Maybe you could send the files that causes this issue, so we could fill
a bug report?

> I don't want some parts to have larger staves while others small.

You are right.
AFAIK parts always have a "normal" size (i.e. 20).

> Do you have a way to gain optimized page breaking?  Keep in mind that
> I can't see what measures are eaten by the bottom of the page, so I
>  don't know when to break manually.

Well, usually in orchestral scores (parts) what matters in defining
page breaks is actually *page turns*.

Page turns occurs when the instrumentist has to turn the page.  ;D
Which means usually every two pages, and preferably when the
instrumentist has no notes to play at that time (mutimeasure rests).
There is a special special setting in LilyPond, which is explained in
NR 4.3.4 Optimal page turning
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/optimal-page-turning.html

That being said, I personally do not use  ly:page-turn-breaking .
Instead I use the "normal"  ly:optimal-breaking  algorithm and then I
put a  \pageBreak  at the right "page turn place" that is the closest to
the default page break.
Using an extra voice for that.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/using-an-extra-voice-for-breaks.html

Cheers,