Re: paper block for little snippets for webpublishing

From: Bill Mooney
Subject: Re: paper block for little snippets for webpublishing
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:37:39 +1300

Hi Francois,
You should really reply to the list so that you get info from all the people there... I'm a complete novice at this. However, if you are making stuff for Powerpoint presentations or similar then you would probably have to get the images with transparent backgrounds - which lilypond doesn't do, I think - which means editing them in some sort of image software where you can clip out the bit you want at the same time... so using the command I sent you is probably ? the easiest way to go...

also, see the quote from the Notation Reference... which might give you what you want but again I think the results are with non-transparent backrounds, although I haven't checked that...

lilypond -f png -dresolution=600 -dclip-systems 'filename'

is the command line I used after reading the following... from the NR

Hope all this helps
Regards
Bill

**************
3.4.1 Extracting fragments of music

It is possible to quote small fragments of a large score directly from the output. This can be compared to clipping a piece of a paper score with scissors.

This is done by defining the measures that need to be cut out separately. For example, including the following definition

\layout {
  clip-regions
  = #(list
      (cons
       (make-rhythmic-location 5 1 2)
       (make-rhythmic-location 7 3 4)))
}

will extract a fragment starting halfway the fifth measure, ending in the seventh measure. The meaning of 5 1 2 is: after a 1/2 note in measure 5, and 7 3 4 after 3 quarter notes in measure 7.

More clip regions can be defined by adding more pairs of rhythmic-locations to the list.

In order to use this feature, LilyPond must be invoked with -dclip-systems. The clips are output as EPS files, and are converted to PDF and PNG if these formats are switched on as well.

For more information on output formats, see Invoking lilypond.