Re: Lyric tie

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Lyric tie
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:09:35 +0100 (CET)

> Hello, I have been searching a lot and still can not find a solution
> for my lyric ties.  I obtain very misplaced ones and I know that a
> font like DejaVuLGC installed should do the trick in my Ubuntu system.
> My problem is: I have it installed, how do I force lilypond to use
> that font?
>
> \version "2.13.40"
> \relative c' {
>         r4 f e d | c2 c
> }
> \addlyrics { Buon gior -- no~al mon -- do. }
>

> http://paconet.org/prueba.pdf
>
> It looks all right in evince, but prints very misplaced on printer
> and looks the same in jedit/lilypondtool.

This your file looks fine with all PDF viewers I've installed on my
system; the lyric tie is taken from the `FreeSerif' font.

I've tried your input file on my box, and here the lyric tie is taken
from the `Sazanami-Mincho-Regular' font (which looks good too, BTW).
In other words, you have to fiddle with the configuration of
FontConfig to get a decent fallback font; this can't be controlled by
lilypond.

> Do you know a way of figuring out which font does a glyph of the PDF
> belong to?

Post-mortem, this is not difficult: Just use the --ps option of
lilypond and search for `/uni203F' in the created PS file.

> \override LyricText #'font-name = #"DejaVuLGC"

Hmm.  I've the DejaVu fonts installed too, but calling `fc-list', I
can't find an entry for `DejaVuLGC'.  Looking at

  http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Main_Page

I can see that this is a derivative which contains only Latin, Greek,
and Cyrillic glyphs.  And it doesn't contain the undertie `uni203F'!
Uh, oh.  Checking the complete font, `DejaVu Serif' (version 2.32), I
see that it doesn't contain `uni203F' either...

So you should stay with the `FreeSerif' font:

  \override LyricText #'font-name = #"FreeSerif"

It might be worth to extend the `~' feature so that a font can be
specified for this particular glyph, something like

  \override LyricText #'lyric-tie-font = #"..."

given that so many popular fonts are missing it...

    Werner