Re: TabStaff feature requests

From: Steve Yegge
Subject: Re: TabStaff feature requests
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:22:26 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/24/10 7:51 AM, "Steve Yegge" <address@hidden> wrote:

> After reading Marc's responses I think I see where I may have
> sewn some confusion.  I have conventional string numbers in the
> non-tab staff, since my audience is partly classical guitarists who
> cannot (or do not) read tab.  So the information I'm providing is
> redundant -- it's for two separate audiences.  At some point I'll
> be looking into compiling them separately, but for now I show
> both staffs on each page.
>
> So I can't just turn off string numbers as a workaround for this issue.

I'm looking into this issue.  The patch may be relatively simple to
implement.

I'm currently thinking of a context property defaultStrings that would
specify the strings to be used in calculating a tab when no string
information is given for a particular note or chord.

This sounds very nice.

I'm also using a fingering of 0 to be an open string.

I'm thinking that the fingering of 0 should not show up as a fingering
anywhere.  If that is not correct, where should a fingering of 0 be
displayed?

As far as I know, the number 0 is used by convention in both guitar
and violin music to indicate an open string.  It's in the same font and
positioned using the same rules as fingers 1 through 4 -- at least it
is in the music I've looked at recently.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, though?

-steve

Thanks,

Carl