Re: Need help with voices and staves

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Need help with voices and staves
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 17:00:06 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "George_" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:30 AM
Subject: Need help with voices and staves

I'm transcribing Bach's Fugue No. 20 in A minor from the Well-Tempered
Clavier Bk. 1, and I've run into a bit of a problem:

[snip approx 150 lines]

When I get to bar 11 and the fourth voice comes in the output
becomes...strange. The First voice moves into the bottom staff and the first note in bar 8 now has the stem coming from the middle of the note - but when I change the rest to s8 in reference to the error I get, the stem moves back
to its normal position (why is that, anyway?)

I'd guess many people saw your first post. However, the music you've posted is really too complicated for most people to want to step in and debug for you. From my perspective, it's also written very strangely - why would you start the music in one stave with 2 voices, and swap staves all the time. Why not, as a general rule, put the music for the LH into the LH stave, only crossing where needed (see bar 4, for example).

Have you checked the logfile for errors - there are loads. One thing to concentrate on is getting rid of them all.

Also - I'd suggest reading http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/usage/suggestions-for-writing-files

HTH

--
Phil Holmes