Re: Problem with sustain brackets with polyphony

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Problem with sustain brackets with polyphony
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:00:50 +0000 (UTC)

Christoph <stadler.chr <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> I am trying to figure out how to use sustain brackets correctly in polyphony.
If
> the notes of the two voices are shifted horizontally on the same time, the
> bracket end at one note and start again at the other leaving a gap in between
> (you can see it in the attached example) I would like to have the brackets
> always connected. How can I do it?

Christoph,
  I do not think there is any way to change how the pedal bracket is placed
relative to the other voices in the same staff. (Issue 723 in the bug list
is similar problem, that the bracket aligns to the left of chords with 2nds.)

  Maybe you would like to move the pedal to its own staff-like context.
Someone has defined a staff-like context called "Dynamics" (link below)
that people like well enough that it will be built-in in the next Lilypond
version 2.14.  As a side effect, which could be good, the pedal brackets
will always be aligned to the same height, even if there are gaps.

\score { <<
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff
    \new Staff <<\clef "F" \time 3/4 \tenor \\ \bass >>
    \new Dynamics \with {
      pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
     % or, \set Dynamics.pedalSustainStyle ... where you had it
    } \pedal  >> >>
    \layout {
      % copy the layout from  http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=357