Re: Problem with ragged-last and verse numbers

From: eluze
Subject: Re: Problem with ragged-last and verse numbers
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:13:28 +0100

Am 02.12.2010, 12:38 Uhr, schrieb Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:

----- Original Message ----- From: "eluze" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:39 AM

Am 02.12.2010, 09:40 Uhr, schrieb Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:

----- Original Message -----

However, ragged-right and ragged-last still work in exactly the same way.
See new attachments.

--
Phil Holmes

in your examples - yes.

but the problem came up with a score written in gregorian style and that's where it happens!

just add

  \include "gregorian.ly"

to see it:

ragged-last in the \paper has no effect, whereas in a \layout block it works!

Eluze

OK. I think I've got this sorted out. You can (as a general rule) put the "ragged" commands inside either a \layout block, or a \paper block - or both. However, if you use a \layout block, this over-rides the settings from the \paper block, which therefore have no effect. gregorian.ly contains the line "ragged-last = ##t" in a \layout block - therefore setting this to false in a \paper block has no effect. Setting any other ragged setting in a \paper block will work. So to make ragged-last false, the \layout command in gregorian.ly has to be over-ridden with "ragged-last = ##t" in a \layout block in the source file - after the \include.

Pretty certain that's right.  Phew.

Not sure why it works like this, though.

--
Phil Holmes

nice explanation, Whew!

so to re-establish the compliance with the general rules, ragged-last should be put in a \paper block in gregorian.ly, with - as you mention - the small constraint to use it after the \include!

thanks!
Eluze