Re: vim&Lilypond learning curve_jazzchord font_bars per line? 3 question

From: James
Subject: Re: vim&Lilypond learning curve_jazzchord font_bars per line? 3 questions
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:27:09 +0000

LzzyLew

On 02/12/2010 17:17, James Bailey wrote:

On Dec 2, 2010, at 5:06 PM, LazyLew wrote:

I have some simple questions - can't find it in the manuals so far, because
there's so much there.

- is it easy to adapt fonts for chords? I like 'em bold, the way you often
see in jazz sheets.
- is it easy to control the amount of measures per line? I stick to 4 as
rule of thumb as much as possible.
- is the learning curve doable for a combination of vim and Lilypond? I'm
new at both, and am 53, so don't have decades left to learn.

Hello!

First, I would suggest you to read the learning manual. Not with the goal of
actually typesetting anything, just to actually understand how lilypond works.
Second, I would suggest you use a more easily accessible tool for typesetting
your scores than vim. Some are mentioned on the tutorial page of the
lilypond.org website under easier editing.

i realize that I haven't answered your questions, but your questions may change
once you've invested the bit of time it takes to actually read (rather than
search or skim) the learning manual.

I absolutely concur with James' comments.

But to specifically answer your questions.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, but there are better editors that will leave you more time to concentrate on the 'Pond than the editor.

(another) James