Re: Weirdness in distribution of systems across pages

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Weirdness in distribution of systems across pages
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 18:14:46 +0000 (UTC)

Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 <at> gmx.de> writes:

> [...] It's almost perfect,
> except for piece 9, which is only three systems big with (relatively) much
> space in between. So I tried if it could be 4 systems long and it can.
>
> However, for some reason, when I do so it messes up piece 2. Although it is
> two manual \pageBreaks apart, it is influenced by this one system-count

You can ask Lilypond to consider only a portion of the music when breaking
pages,
by making each portion a separate \bookpart.  Each \bookpart starts on a new
page, so you might put pieces 2-4 in one \bookpart, pieces 4-6 in the next
\bookpart, etc.

When Lilypond has reached the limits of her ability to suggest page breaks,
you can take over by putting \pageBreaks where you want them and using
page-break-permission = #f (see chapter 4 in the reference manual for syntax).