How to parenthesize a time signature

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: How to parenthesize a time signature
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 16:36:23 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Lilypouncers,
     Is there a quick way to parenthesize a simple time signature?
I'm not sure whether this is standard or not, but I used it once or
twice at the beginning of a score that shows an excerpt from, say, the
middle of a piece, to make it clear that the time signature also
applied to the music leading up to the excerpt.  (I think I used it a
long time ago in a copy job for a musicologist, but I can't be sure.)

Thanks,
Jonathan