Directions for setting up LyX 2.0 with lilypond 2.13+ on OS X

From: Henry Flurry
Subject: Directions for setting up LyX 2.0 with lilypond 2.13+ on OS X
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:27:53 -0700

There are multiple ways to get this done, but there appears to be only one way
sanctioned by the lilypond folks.

Most of the directions on this list talk of adding the
.../LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin to the $PATH in order to get LyX to
work, but the problem with this is that it exposes at least one commonly used
application (gs) that is NOT compiled to work properly when executed outside of
the lilypond environment.  In fact, if LyX finds this gs instead of a properly
installed gs, it will fail.

Apparently, in OS X, lilypond's gs is not meant to be exposed.  You need to set
up a set of scripts which execute the lilypond, lilypond-book, etc. files
directly.  See http://lilypond.org/macos-x.html  "macosx on the command line"
for details on how to do this.

So, here are my steps:

- Download and install LilyPond.app 2.13 or greater.

- Create scripts lilypond, lilypond-book, and convert-ly and put them into
~/bin.  See http://lilypond.org/macos-x.html  "macosx on the command line" for
details on how to do this.

- Start up LyX, and add a full path name to your ~/bin into the Lyx ->
Preferences -> Paths -> PATH prefix field.  In my LyX, I add at the end of the
existing paths the text:

        :/Users/flurry/bin

- Press the Save button on the Preferences panel.

- QUIT and RESTART LyX !!!  It seemed to me that this PATH was not updated for
the following reconfigure command until I quit and restart LyX.

- Choose from the menu:  LyX -> Reconfigure.  This tells LyX to reconfigure
itself and enable the appropriate modules.

- Quit and Restart LyX again, so that the new modules are loaded.

- Open the lilypond lyx example document.  You'll find it at:
.../LyX.app/Contents/Resources/examples/lilypond.lyx

- You should see at the end of the document the music examples render in a few
seconds.

IF you use a direct path to the lilypond's bin (e.g.,
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin), then it is possible for LyX
to called the gs that is located in this directory.  This will fail.  If you
are going to use this path, then it needs to be at the END of your Path
directory listed above - not the beginning.

HOWEVER, note that the lilypond developers do not sanction using this bin in
any PATH environments.  Doing so exposes executables that will not function
properly outside of the lilypond environment.

Thanks!
Henry Flurry