Re: Unknown final note shape / object. What it is?

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: Unknown final note shape / object. What it is?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:03:11 -0500

It appears to be the opening Kyrie of the Josquin's Missa Beata Virgine, ca 1510.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Josquin_Missa_BV_Kyrie.jpg

I believe music printing was a thriving enterprise by then, so it's unlikely to be (completely) hand scribed.

Cheers,
Mike

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Nils Gey <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:40:15 +0000
Owain Sutton <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 21:32, Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Nils Gey wrote:
> > I stumbled upon this picture of notation and I've never seen the final note (in each voice, the right page voices have a slightly different version)
> > http://anaigeon.free.fr/mes_facs/fsjosq.jpg
> >
> > From the position it must be a longa, the fermata over it indictates the same. Best visible on the top left version is that there is indeed the right-handed stem from a longa at the end of this symbol.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this in a different context? I would like to see more pictures or versions.
> >
> > Btw. if you know any other strange or seldom used notation symbols please let me know :)
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Nils
>

> Probably just a scribal quirk - the incomplete illuminations give some idea of how prestigious this volume was (or was intended to be).  Which source is it?

If going to the root of this URL does not help I don't know. Google image search. I searched through mensural music (and medieval) for exactly these things. Strange looking or nice looking things in notation (without the usual Ars Subtilior Heart-Shape Notation)

Nils