Re: preventing DynamicText/SpanBar collisions

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: preventing DynamicText/SpanBar collisions
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:00:15 +0100

Am Samstag, 11. Dezember 2010, um 19:02:11 schrieb Jay Anderson:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Is there a good *generic* way to prevent DynamicText/SpanBar
> > collisions?  I'd like the DynamicText and NoteColumn to move
> > to the right as a unit, preferably with a single setting to
> > put in a \layout block so as not to have to do this
> > repetitively in the music expression.  Any suggestions?
>
> Here's the issue: http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=621
>
> Two workarounds (not general solutions):
>
> 1. Use whiteout and some padding:
>
> whitePPPMarkup = \markup {\whiteout \pad-markup #0.5 \dynamic ppp}
> whitePPP = #(make-dynamic-script whitePPPMarkup)
>
> \new StaffGroup \relative f' <<
>  \new Staff { R1 | f2\whitePPP r | }
>  \new Staff { R1 | f1 | }

That's basically what I'm doing in my scores, where I shift dynamics around to
better places than the default (looks quite professional to whiteout the
barline, if the dynamics are in a better position then).

You don't need to define your own whitePPPMarkup, you can put everything right
into the make-dynamic-script call:

whiteoutp = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:whiteout #:pad-markup 0.5
#:dynamic "p"))
whiteoutf = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:whiteout #:pad-markup 0.5
#:dynamic "f"))

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886