Re: lilypond cameo

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: lilypond cameo
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:14:07 +0100

2010/12/10 James <address@hidden>:
> Hello
>
> On 10/12/2010 07:43, Jan Warchoł wrote:
>>
>> Seriously though, have you considered changing the default font for
>> chords?
>
> Oh yes, but only to make it smaller, I prefer mine '12% smaller' than
> default, but the 'sans' font I think, is how chord names should be
> displayed.
>
> I know it's a preference and I don't think the feta font has anything to do
> with it - at least from my perspective - but more than when you have a lead
> sheet or a score with chords on it plus all the other 'gumpf' that is
> usually in a serif font (title, composer, arranger, tempo, dim.. cresc..
> etc) they blend in when they are anything but sans.

Maybe you are right.
I have to admit that my scores that have chord names don't have almost
any other stuff that could mix with them.

> When I see serif used for chord names it's like someone using 'zapf
> chancery' for body text because it's 'fancy' :)
>
> Although I have to say I have seen chord names in 'comic sans' on printed
> material I have played in my Wind Band and actually while that sounds
> dreadful, when you're playing some old time rag or an old traditional song
> that's about 'jolly' things, comic sans chord names seem some how apt!

I'd say that it's very interesting. Something distinctive, but not as
soulles as regular sans, might be the best choice for chords (i don't
want to say that it should be comic sans of course :) ). Well, if i
stumble across any font that may fit i'll let you know.

cheers,
Janek