Re: Mixing notation and lyric entry

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: Mixing notation and lyric entry
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:33:21 -0500

The following does what I want but requires explicit variables that have to be manually concatenated.  There's got to be a way to reduce the overhead. After all, Scheme is the most powerful language in the known universe, right?

\include "english-solfa.ly" % english.ly modified to include solfa syllables

lyrfirst = \lyricmode { first two three four }
musfirst = \relative do' { do8 re mi fa }

lyrnext = \lyricmode { five six sev eight }
musnext = \relative do'' { sol la ti do }

% ...

sopmelody = \relative do {
    \musfirst \musnext  % ...
}

soplyrics = \lyricmode {
    \lyrfirst \lyrnext  % ...
}

\score {
    <<
    \new Voice = "Sop" {
    \autoBeamOn
    \sopmelody
    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "Sop" { \soplyrics }

Cheers,
Mike

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Jan Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
2010/12/15 Michael Ellis <address@hidden>>
> Jan Warchol wrote "I don't know how it could be done, and i strongly recommend not doing
> this. Separating different types of content is in my opinion very
> beneficial"
> I agree that separating content is useful.  As you point out, it allows one to easily recombine it in various formats.  It's just that I prefer to have the computer do the work whenever possible.  Let me see if I can clarify what I mean by that.
> Conceptually, I could write a preprocessor that would use special comment prefixes '%!T' and '%!!T' to take input like
> %!T  These are lyr- rics
> %!!T do8  re mi fa
> %!T  and a few more.
> %!!T sol la ti do
> and output the music and the lyrics in separate variable assignments
> \tenormelody = \relative do { do8 re mi fa sol la ti do }
> \tenorlyric   =  \lyricmode  { These are ly-rics and a few more }
> and then use these in your template, right?  I can code that up in Python in a heartbeat, but it's an unappealing solution for obvious reasons.   Hence the query about how to do it with LilyPond and Scheme.

Ah, i understand. Yeah, this is a good idea. wish i could help with that :/

cheers,
Janek