Re: beautifully reworked wiki page

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: beautifully reworked wiki page
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:30:39 +0100

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 17/12/2010 13:09, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>>>
>>> although the German
>>> page has a very beautiful Stockhausen excerpt.
>>
>> At what point would this contravene some copyright law?
>
> Depends on the legal jurisdiction -- which, of course, is not
> particularly well-founded for internet sites.  The new ACTA treaty
> might say something about this; I can't remember.
>
> In my non-expert (I am not a lawyer) opinion, the current except on
> the German page would contravene Canadian copyright law.

It depends on whether the quote makes sense for working with/from.  Not
every attributed quote is illegal.

  (if Canadian

> I honestly don't know why people tempt fate like this

Laws are not "fate".

I have recently bought the organ version of BWV 565 Toccata and Fugue D
minor.  For organ.

The legalese on the first music sheet states (translated)

"This edition may only be used for public performances, radio
broadcasts, mechanical recordings and similar purposes in the
arrangement evident from it and announcing the editor's name".

Since I was going to play this on accordion, obviously I can't play the
organ version without further adaption, and I won't rule out playing
this on Youtube or similar.  I have my doubts this utter absurdity would
stand in court, but nevertheless this score is going back to the store.

The amount to which the media industry considers their customers enemies
who must not be allowed to make _any_ sensible use of their purchases is
really absurd.  If the publisher (in this case Schott) is not interested
in me actually using their score, I am not interested in buying it.

--
David Kastrup