Re: ways of using Lilypond?

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: ways of using Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 03:12:37 -0500

Hello,

On 19/12/2010 01:27, Ludo Beckers wrote:
> I guess I asked this question because I'm not sure whether or not I
> should first learn Lilypond syntax and then see if I want/need to use
> tools besides it.

My own experience of LilyPond was quite, no make that VERY frustrating
to start with. The syntax seemed awkward, I am not a programmer so all
the 'funny commands' with the seemingly excessive brackets, braces and
parentheses were very alien to me.

I could see LilyPond's potential and what it could do and had managed to
produce a very simple score using just Windows wordpad (which I still
use) and on my Mac, the editor that comes with Lilypond (LilyPad) which
again I still use to this day. I don't use Linux as my LilyPond engraver.

I tried to use the other tools like Jedit and Frescobaldi and a few
others that the manuals mentioned but I found myself struggling with
those tools more than I was getting LilyPond to work.

It was very frustrating at first.

I must have given up on LilyPond about 3 or 4 times over a couple of
years before I decided to 'pull up a chair and have a proper go' without
worrying about the editor.

I kept it simple and used the most basic text editor that I could that
came with the OS I was using and set myself tasks on copying music that
I had lying about - admittedly single system Trumpet/Clarinet or Sax
scores. All with a basic editor.

The user forums were helpful and the documentation while patchy in some
parts usually had what I needed in it if I would only take a few minutes
to read it.

Since then I have gone back to the 'GUI' tools but frankly find the ease
and speed of these simple text editors better.

I do sometimes wish that the editors I use had better hi-lighting (i.e.
showing me where I have missed a closing '}' for instance and yes I know
there are many editors out there that do that :) but I like the
discipline that using a basic editor instils.

However that all said, having an understanding of the fundamental
LilyPond syntax and layout really is worth taking some time to
understand, it doesn't take that long and means that I don't have to
worry about which platform I use LilyPond on just because the 'tools' I
use on one OS don't exist on another.

I can pick up any editor and go which is nice when I visit friends who
want me to help them 'make those fancy scores' with that weird 'Duck
pond program' I use, whether they have Windows or a Mac.

James