Re: ways of using Lilypond?

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: ways of using Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:18:00 +0100

If you haven't already, I would suggest reading the learning manual through, so you have a basic understanding of how lilypond works. You may want to try and get one of the integrated environments (frescobaldi, denemo, jEdit +lilypondtool). You should, at that point, have enough knowledge to be able to enter things, understand what the integrated editing environment is doing, and make changes should the program not succeed. But, even if you just use a basic text editor, you'll get to a place where you really understand what it is you want to do, how to find things in your files, and how to enter things effectively.

I am a mac user who got caught by bug 504 completely oblivious to the fact that there are much better (easier) ways of entering text for compilation by lilypond. Until that point, I was using the built-in lilypond editor (which is like a stripped down version of TextEdit) that has update and compilation built in. As a result of that bug, I:
a) learned how to use lilypond on the command line
b) learned how to build and install a program from source code on mac osx (nano 2.0, 'cause nano 1 is pretty useless)
c) learned enough regex to create simple syntax hilighting rules
d) learned about the program Skim (which, at the time, was the easiest way to keep a pdf open and have it automatically refresh when the file was changed)
e) learned a whole lot about my computer that I never knew before

Along the way, I tried emacs and vim and TextMate and TeXShop (because they were mentioned in the documentation) but they were far too much for my simple needs, or too difficult to manage.