Re: ways of using Lilypond?

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: ways of using Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:53:57 +0100

On 2010-12-19 10:30, Jan Warchoł wrote:
2010/12/19 Ludo Beckers<address@hidden>:
I guess I asked this question because I'm not sure whether or not I should
first learn Lilypond syntax and then see if I want/need to use tools besides
it.

I recommend doing so. I'm not a very skilled user yet, but it appears
certain to me that you'll better understand how LilyPond works if you
learn it's syntax.

+1. On the other hand, I do not recommend using NotePad for this. I don't think you really need syntax highlighting, but parentheses matching and automatic indentation is incredibly helpful. Most editors should be able to handle the { } constructs; << >> typically requires a LilyPond mode or some manual configuration, but is less important IMHO.

Personally, I use Emacs with lilypond-mode and a few .ly templates I wrote by hand, but I happen to run Frescobaldi every now and then for its Lyric hyphenator feature. For larger scores, I typically also write a Makefile, and I use Okular as preview.

Cheers,
Alexander