Re: printing A4 pages on A3 paper

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: printing A4 pages on A3 paper
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:28:26 +0100

On 2010-12-19 13:03, Federico Bruni wrote:
Hi,

in a print shop I was told that they couldn't directly print my A4 .pdf
to A3 paper - using Adobe Reader - because in the pdf "pages are linked
two by two" (I guess they meant to say "twoside").  [...]

I just want to be sure that my pdf is ok and understand why the shop
failed to print directly to A3.

Be sure, but probably that doesn't buy you anything. When I take files to the local copy shop, I usually have to different flavours. Which one to choose depends on the guy behind the counter.

One file (for the older guy) is plain A4 pdf, without any fancy things. Just as Lily spits them out. The senior clicks on "print to brochure", and I get A3 double-page, already stapled if I choose so - the printer does everything by itself. Perfect approach, since each self-respecting printer company for these high 4- or low 5-digits range priced machines has this option in the driver.

His son (who actually is the shop owner) insists to claim that this method doesn't work, so I open the (USB stick) hat and present a pdfnup-ped 2 on 1, A3 landscape file. He clicks on "print, fold and staple" or something, and I get what I want. Usually after two or three corrections, that is - since he can't remember the correct page rotations in landscape, someone choosed "scale to A4" just before, he chose the wrong paper tray. But he doesn't want the misprint to be paid, so it doesn't really matter to me.

IMHO, it doesn't make any sense to manually prepare the 2-on-1 version when the printer driver offers just this option [*]. It's more work, and if the printer company added some tweaks for the very machine if necessary, you'll lose them. (Although I don't think this is an issue; the only feature I can imagine here is a binding offset.) And even if it's not in the driver, the later Adobe Reader versions have this "brochure print" option.

[*] Unless you do really fancy layouts, beyond what LilyPond offers. Say, cross-margin pictures or something. But you'll probably choose a serious print agency then, and they'll give you support on the right file format, and be able to handle conversions gracefully.

Cheers,
Alexander