Re: ways of using Lilypond?

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: ways of using Lilypond?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:04:35 -0500

Oops forgot to attach one of the files to prior message.  Here it is.
Cheers,
Mike

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Michael Ellis <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Michael,
Took me a day longer than I thought to get around to this.  Here are the main scripts I'm currently using.  They are heavily tailored toward the ways I use LilyPond, namely transcribing songs and choral parts in movable do solfege and constructing violin exercises in 12 keys.

The files included are:

mixlyrics.py -- defines the MixLyrics class that knows how to parse out lines beginning with '@@' as lyrics lines beginning with '@H' as chord names.

songtemplate.py -- The all-purpose template I use for anything that has one voice with (optionally) lyrics and/or chord symbols.  When I want to transcribe something, I open an empty .py file in vim and read this template in.  There are two variables that take triple-quoted strings containing LilyPond notation. One is named 'header' and contains title, composer, etc.  The other is named 'songly'. This is where you enter the music, e.g.

songly = r"""
    \tempo "Moderato" 4 = 105
    \time 3/4
    \set midiInstrument = #"violin"
    \clef treble
    \key do \major  %% Needed, don't change

    @@ A -- las, my love you do me wrong to
   address@hidden r4 la2.:min  do2. sol2. mi2.:min
    \partial 4
    la4 | do2 re4 |
    mi4.( fi8) mi4 |
    re2 ti4 |
    sol4.( la8) ti4 |

    @@ cast me out dis -- cour -- teous -- ly.
   address@hidden la2.:min  fa2.  mi2. mi2
    do2 la4 |
    la4.( si8) la4 |
    ti2 si4  |
    mi2

    \bar "||"
    """
There are also two list variables, 'keys' and 'octaves'  than control how many which keys and octaves are output.

english-solfa.ly -- a version of english.ly with solfege syllables added.

lily -- the shell script that ultimately gets called to process the lilypond file created by song template.py. You may need to alter this to match your lilypond installation.

songtemplate.pdf -- what you should get from running "python songtemplate.py" if everything is installed correctly.

Even if these aren't useful as is,  they may give you some ideas for using python to automate your own tasks.

Cheers,
Mike