Re: fretboard diagram : removing the fret number on the side

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: fretboard diagram : removing the fret number on the side
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:51:25 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 12/20/10 8:57 PM, "Marc Mouries" <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>  The fret diagram prints a fret number indication on the right that is
>> confusing from a Violinist perspective.
>>  Is there any option for the fret diagram not to print it?
>
> Unfortunately, right now there is no way to change it.
>

>>  For instance, in the 2nd D chord i'd like to get rid of the "iv" or
>> print "i"
>> because on the Violin it is more helpful to think in terms of position than
>> fret as there is none.
>
> So do you want fret indications in your violin "fret" diagrams?
>
> And how is the position calculated?

You can't really calculate it all too well.  In "first position", the
pinky is in the current scale a fifth above the empty string.  In "half
position", it is a diminuished fifth, while the index finger is a half
step above the empty string (if the index finger is a half step above
the empty string, but the pinky is still a full fifth, it is not "half
position" since you can still sound the next empty string).

In "third" position, the index finger is a fourth above the empty
string.  Basically, the position more or less concerns the relation
between the current scale and the hand position and fingering and is a
somewhat fuzzy concept when the number of accidentals rises.

> It seems possible that we could put an option in to label the position
> instead of the fret.  But at this point I don't know how to calculate
> the position.

The position is not independent of the fingering.  Indicating a position
would only make sense in fret diagrams if you also spell out the
fingering.  I don't know whether there is any established scheme for
that with violins.

--
David Kastrup