Re: pb with 2.13 with doc example fret diagram

From: Marc Mouries
Subject: Re: pb with 2.13 with doc example fret diagram
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:19:48 -0500

On 12/22/2010 9:10 AM, Carl Sorensen wrote:

On 12/22/10 12:12 AM, "Marc Hohl"<address@hidden>  wrote:

Am 22.12.2010 03:43, schrieb Carl Sorensen:
On 12/21/10 7:26 PM, "Marc Mouries"<address@hidden>  wrote:

On Dec 21, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Carl Sorensen wrote:
Well, it's supposed to be the number of semitones above middle C for
each
open string, starting with the highest string.

Wow, that's really not self-explanatory but i get why it's needed.
However
I'll have one less argument when my friend tell me that Lilypond is too
complicated.
Why not allow people to define tuning with notes, like:

violinTuning = #'(e' a d g)
guitarTuning= #'(e b g d a e,,)
Well, the short (and dumb) answer is because the notes e' a d g etc. are
lilypond input music expressions, and the string tuning needs to be a
Scheme
list.

The next longer answer is probably "because nobody ever thought of it".
Not quite ;-)

http://lilypond-s-support-for-tablatures.3383434.n2.nabble.com/TAB-guide-tp581
3587p5818252.html
Oops, sorry.  I missed that in the overall flow of things....

The final answer is that it will be quite easy to to create a music
function
that creates a string tuning object. How would this syntax be?

\makeStringTuning #'violinTuning {e' a d g}

If this sounds good, I'll have it done in the next day or so.
Sounds very promising indeed! As Patrick mentioned in his tablature test
file,
a tablature key (i.e. string labels indicating the pitch) would be a
useful enhancement.

I didn't dig very deep, but how complicated would it be to allow note
names for
string tunings?
Note names for string tunings would be very difficult, as far as I can see.
LilyPond uses note names only in its input layer; they're not used at all
internally.

Pitches for string tunings, on the other hand, would be relatively
straightforward to implement.  And they would be unambiguous in terms of
determining a tab key.

Thanks,

Carl

As a matter of fact, I would suggest to make it even simpler. Use whatever internal notation is easier to implement and provide a list of tuning like the languages.
Something like:

\tuning = "violin"
or
\include instrument-tunings

One of those command include a file containing the tunings for guitar, violin, mandolin (same as violin), ukulele, bass, ...

\storePredefinedDiagram \dMajor
                        #violinTuning
                        #"o;o;o;3-3;"

-Marc M