Re: pb with 2.13 with doc example fret diagram

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: pb with 2.13 with doc example fret diagram
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:59:57 -0700

On 12/22/10 7:13 AM, "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Note names for string tunings would be very difficult, as far as I can see.
>> LilyPond uses note names only in its input layer; they're not used at all
>> internally.
>
> They can be retrieved from either of the pitchnames alists:
> http://lilypond-frogs.2124236.n2.nabble.com/PATCH-chord-names-language-td58122
> 70.html

Yes, they can.  But the only appropriate time to do this is during the
parsing stage, because the language can be changed during parsing.  If we
store the tunings as note-names, then change the note-name language, the
stored tunings become invalid.  Hence the need to store them as pitches.

It would be a much easier music function to write, however, to have the
syntax for creating a new tuning be

\makeStringTuning #'violinTuning #'(e'' a' d' g)

But this syntax may be harder for the user to remember.  I think the best
syntax I've heard yet is David's suggestion of

\makeStringTuning #'violinTuning <g d' a' e''>

Thanks,

Carl