Re: fretboard with fingers on the same string / scale

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: fretboard with fingers on the same string / scale
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:26:02 -0700

On 12/23/10 9:59 PM, "Marc Mouries" <address@hidden> wrote:

>    Lilyponders,
>
>  I might be pushing the fretboard to its limit but i just found a very useful
> use after a discussion with my Violin teacher and I'd like to know if it's
> possible to print fingers dot on the same strings.

It is easy to print multiple finger dots on the same string, but you will
need to use the verbose format if you want to use a predefined diagram.  The
terse format is limited to one fingering per string.

>  It can also be used to print scales like the following on guitar:
>

>  I tried the following but that did not product the expected outcome:
>  violinTuning = #'(16 9 2 -5)
>
>  patternA    = <g   d' bf' g'' >
>  patternB    = < g\4  d'\3  bf'\2  g'\1 bf'\1>
>
>  \storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table \patternA
>                          #violinTuning
>                          #"o;o;1-1;3-2;"

This is correctly done as a fret-diagram-terse string (note that there are
no string numbers).

>  \storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table \patternB
>                          #violinTuning
>                          #"4-o-o;3-o-o;2-1-1;1-2-3;1-6-4;"

This is a normal, rather than terse, fret diagram string.  Normal fret
diagram strings are not allowed as part of storePredefinedDiagram.  The
terse format does not include the string number.

Try the following:

\storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table
                        \patternB
                        #violinTuning
                        #'((open 4)
                           (open 3)
                           (place-fret 2 1 1)
                           (place-fret 1 2 3)
                           (place-fret 1 6 4))

This should work (but I haven't tested it).

HTH,

Carl