Spacing between two sections of the same staff and custom bar numbers

From: Iwillnotexist Idonotexist
Subject: Spacing between two sections of the same staff and custom bar numbers
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 16:33:34 -0800 (PST)

Hello Lilypond users,

I have been trying, lately, to typeset a one-page score to make it resemble as much as possible the original. The original sheet has (almost) exactly the same music as that generated by the attached .ly file, with two exceptions. After quite a lot of time trying everything I could, I still cannot figure out:

1. How to manually set the distance between two sections of the same staff. In my attachment, the bar numbers 1-8, 9-18, 19-25, 26-38, 39-45, 46-55, 56-64, 65-73 and 74-82 make up the nine sections of the very same staff. Now, as you can see after compiling, the staff sections are quite close, and I would like to manually increase the distance between them. How does one proceed to do this? I cannot use the staff-staff-spacing, staffgroup-staff-spacing or any of those properties, since they apply to spacing between staves, not between sections of the same staff. So is there any \override or property I can use?

2. How to order Lilypond to draw bar numbers below the staff and at specific locations, and to box a subset of them and place them above the staff instead. I suspect I need a function that takes in the bar number and prints out yes or no according to the value. In C, this would look something like

if(barnum==14){
    return true;
}else if(barnum==39){
    return true;
}else{
    return false;
}

or, if we want to specify everything but,

if(barnum!=6 && barnum!=43){
    return true;
}else{
    return false;
}

But how would one implement such a function in Lilypond (I assume in Scheme language), and what \overrides do I need to use and where?

Thank you a lot in advance,

Olexa Bilaniuk