Re: Lily dances

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Lily dances
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 23:45:07 -0800

Hi Mike,

On 2010-12-22, Mike Solomon wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I am embarking on a new project to make lily dance.
>
> Attached are 3 files:
>
> 1) svgdance.svg (best viewed in something that's not Internet
> Explorer - click on the notes and/or accidentals and see what
> happens!)

Very cool!

> 3) 0001-Implements-metadata-for-SVG-manipulation.patch (needs to be
> applied to the current master - then, recompile everything in lily
> and scm and install)

Looks pretty straightforward.  As you can see, it's not too difficult
to sneak new data into the backends.  :-)

> I think the applications of this are broader than making grobs
> dance.  I am going to use it for a composition, but I think it can
> also be used for animated Schenker graphs, annotated scores,
> pedagogical sites, etc..

Sure, I think it definitely has further applications, even ones we
can't imagine right now.

> As always with my side projects, I could use some help!  If you are
> interested in this sorta thing and want to help make the code
> better, lemme know.  Before I work on integrating this into the
> post-2.14 source, I'd like for several people to play with it and
> share their thoughts!

Some random thoughts:

I find your implementation of the 'metadata property value very
interesting.  :-)  It's nice, but it doesn't feel very "LilyPondy" to
me.  Not sure how to improve it right now.

What about SVG+SMIL?  More browser makers are adding support for it...

I think it would be nice to add prewritten JavaScript functions, or
entire JavaScript libraries that users can pull in to use for
animation, or other purposes.  Of course, your "set-svg-header" could
be used to write custom functions, but it would be easier to include
functions (from the user's point of view) from separate JavaScript
files.

I tried to load svgdance.svg in Batik Squiggle, and an error was
generated:

  file:/home/pnorcks/svgdance.svg:
  The attribute "style" represents an invalid CSS declaration ("cursor:hand;").