Re: Accidental and clef change issue

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Accidental and clef change issue
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:50:29 +0100

Am Dienstag, 28. Dezember 2010, um 14:23:14 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote in message
> > I don't think it is correct.  If you set the above with \key g\major,
> > you will notice that the key signature is _not_ repeated with a clef
> > change.  So there is no visual or logical reason to assume "accidentals
> > are reset".  If that was the underlying assumption for a clef change,
> > the key signature would be repeated.
>
> So I'm confused as to what the regtest text cited means.  It
> (accidental-clef-change.ly) says "Accidentals are reset for clef changes."

I couldn't really find anything about accidentals in combination with clef
changes in Stone or Read. The only thing that might apply is in Stone (p.54,
item "D. At Clef Changes":
If a clef changes withing a measure and the same note occurs before and after
the clef change, the accidental must be repeated:
(Example in lilypond-notation:)
\relative c'' { \time 2/4 \clef "treble" a8[( cis,]) \clef "bass" cis[( e,]) }

In that example, the cis after the clef change gets a sharp.
However, this example is only about repeating an accidental, not about whether
all previous accidentals are actually reset and no natural is required.

As a musician, I would definiely appreciate if the natural sign is displayed,
just to make it clear that it is a c and not a cis.

I would be great, though, if anyone can find a published example of such a
situation (most likely in e.g. cello/bassoon parts/scores, which frequently
switch between bass and tenor clef).

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886