Re: making staves full of rests disappear in a full score

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: making staves full of rests disappear in a full score
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:10:30 +0100

Am Dienstag, 28. Dezember 2010, um 15:46:44 schrieb Frauke Jurgensen:
> Hello all!
>
> I have a large orchestral score, in which individual instruments at
> times are resting for many pages. I would like these instruments to
> disappear (those staves not to be shown) on systems where they have
> nothing but rests.
>
> The only way I can think of to do this, is to create a new staff at
> the point where the instrument appears, and to do so each time.

Lilypond of course supports this crucial feature for orchestral scores:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Modifying-single-
staves.html#Hiding-staves

To get examples for such things, it is also always a good idea to search the
LSR:
http://www.lsr.dsi.unimi.it/

Cheers,
Reinhold